Maintenance Services Representative
*This position is for Campus Living Centres and is based out of Durham College/UOIT Residence. Thus, the successful candidate will be employed by the Residence and not the College.
*Hours are full-time, Monday to Friday (8-4pm).
*Must be available to be in an on-call rotation.
Position Summary and Job Magnitude
The Maintenance Services Representative must ensure that the entire building is in safe and good working order at all times. This includes a combination of preventative maintenance tasks, daily repair requisitions, and supporting outside contractors when on site.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties
Preventative maintenance is necessary for all aspects of keeping the building running smoothly. Some of the responsibilities involved with this position include but are not limited to:
- Daily checks of the building and equipment
- Greasing bearings, replacing filters and belts on equipment as per maintenance schedules
- Check utility meters on daily basis to monitor consumption.
- Check standpipes and fire panel on a daily basis
- Check all fire extinguishers are at their proper levels and intact
- Keep detailed records of all maintenance and inspections
- Any other preventative maintenance as required
Daily repair requisitions are to be completed in a timely fashion to ensure proper building operation and customer satisfaction. Tasks can include, but are not limited to:
- Replacing or repairing burnt out lights and fixtures
- Moving furniture and appliances
- Basic plumbing repairs and replacements, including unclogging toilets
- Fixing damaged sections of drywall
- Maintaining interior finishes, including vinyl wall coverings and painting
- General janitorial tasks such as garbage collection and spill cleanups
- Keep detailed records of all work
- Any other maintenance or janitorial duties as required or asked to perform
The Maintenance Services Representative’s role can be strenuous and requires the individual to be in good physical condition. Physical demands include:
- Climbing ladders
- Moving appliances and furniture
- Repetitive lifting of up to 60lbs
- Cardio vascular endurance for tasks such as snow removal and climbing stairs
- Working in confined spaces, including lying on their side or working on their knees for up to 30 minute.
- Ability to grip and manipulate basic hand tools and parts
- Hand dexterity and fine motor skills for working with small parts
- Repetitive reaching or working above their head
- Majority of the working day spent standing conducting repairs and maintenance
Health & Safety
- Works in compliance with the provisions of the OHSA, regulations and internal policies and procedures and reports any contraventions to their supervisor
- Uses or wears the equipment, protective devices or clothing that Campus Living Centres requires
- Reports to the appropriate supervisor(s) any hazards, missing or defective equipment or protective device which could endanger any person
- Does not engaging in any prank, contest, feat of strength, unnecessary running or rough and boisterous conduct
- Reports any risks or potential risks of violence or harassment encountered in the workplace immediately to supervisor
- Knows, understands and implements safe work practices and procedures and employs established rules and procedures for handling materials, equipment and processes (eg. Reporting unlabelled containers, using proper lifting techniques, etc.)
- Requests that worn out or defective equipment be replaced, when appropriate
- Uses equipment and materials only in the manner intended
- Reports any injuries, incidents and unusual conditions immediately to supervisor
- Inspects the work area and equipment daily and reports any hazards immediately to supervisor
- Attends all required health and safety training programs (e.g. WHMIS, orientation), and applies knowledge to daily operating procedures at Campus Living Centres
Performance will be primarily measured on the following factors:
- Inter-Personal Skills
- Customer Service
- Skill & Knowledge
- Quality of Desired Results
- Adaptability & Flexibility
- Organizing & Planning
- Overall Performance
- Health & Safety Responsibilities
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is Campus Living Centres policy to promote equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
Campus Living Centres does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin,
ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status or sexual orientation.
Campus Living Centres prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the grounds listed above. This applies to all areas of employment including recruitment, hiring, training and promotion.
Not only is Campus Living Centres committed to workplace diversity, Campus Living Centres provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If you require accommodation, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
High School Diploma, Recognized College Diploma preferred
- Knowledge of commercial electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems
- Must be competent with general physical plant repairs
- Must possess positive attitude towards work and learning
- Must be able to handle multiple projects at once
Minimum of 1 year industry experience in similar role an asset
Base pay and other compensation are dependent on location, level, function, and a number of other factors. Annual performance reviews give employees the opportunity to earn increases in their base pay, and in some cases, annual bonuses. Some functions, such as sales, have a component of their pay based on commission.
Our benefit program provides our employees with a comprehensive plan designed to give you and your family peace of mind. You should not have to worry about things like your health, and we will do whatever we can to help. Some of the benefits offered include:
- Comprehensive Drug and Medical Coverage
- Dental Insurance Coverage
- Vision Care Plan
- Company-Sponsored Retirement Plans (RPP)
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Education Assistance Program
- Comprehensive Campus Living Centres Training