Residence Life Coordinator
*This is a live-in position in a student residence, overseeing the residence staff and programming for St. Clair College Residence.
*This is a two-year contract position with an opportunity to extend.
*This position also oversees the Chatham Thames Campus Residence Life program.
Position Summary and Job Magnitude
The Residence Life Coordinator (RLC) reports to the General Manager and/or Director, Residence Life & the Student Experience. The Residence Life Coordinator position is primarily responsible for the implementation of the residence life program, which includes providing a safe community environment that supports student growth and development in with the mission and values of the Niagara NOTL College Residence.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties
- The recruitment, training and supervision of Residence Life Staff, which may include Resident Advisors, Peer Mentors and/or other student staff positions;
- The recruitment, training and supervision of the Residence Council;
- Implementing a residence life program;
- Facilitating the judicial process and managing day-to-day student issues related to academics, personal health and wellness, and roommate/community conflicts;
- Facilitating the programming model which includes a diverse educational and social aspect which aligns with the population, mission and values of the institution;
- Creation and management of the annual Residence Life Budget;
- Participating in rotating ‘on-call’ schedule on evenings and weekends and responding to facility, student and guest emergency or crisis situations;
- Creating strong partnerships with various community agencies and campus departments;
- Supporting regular operational functions of the residence including, but not limited to, facilities management, front desk operations and conference services.
- Other duties as assigned.
The RLC position is a permanent full-time position with the requirement of on-site accommodations. The successful candidate would possess a unique combination of skills and experience. Hours can be irregular, including extended workdays and weekends. The RLC is an excellent role model and mentor for all students and student leaders. A comprehensive benefit package is included.
Health & Safety
- Require employees to work in a safe manner, using any provided protective devices, following all measure and procedures that are required by the Government Legislation and Campus Living Centres.
- Ensure employees are advised of and trained on the existence of any potential or actual danger to their health or safety of which the supervisor is aware.
- Ensure every precaution reasonable in the circumstances is taken for the protection of an employee.
- Support a safe work environment that is free from any violence or harassment.
- Reinforce and demonstrate a positive “health and safety” attitude.
- Hold information sessions with staff on health and safety issues.
- Develop an effective working relationship with JHSC members and support their role.
- Perform informal workplace inspections daily and formal workplace inspections quarterly.
- Make every reasonable attempt to resolve any employee health and safety concerns.
- Conduct Incident Investigations and ensure these are discussed at JHSC and management meetings.
- Correct any substandard or unsafe acts or any unsafe conditions and reporting concerns.
- Ensure that a maintenance program for any equipment and machinery in the workplace is carried out.
- Implement emergency plans when necessary and ensure that employees have been properly trained.
- Regularly evaluate employee performance and provide periodic feedback with respect to health and safety.
Performance will be primarily measured on the following factors:
- Inter-Personal Skills
- Customer Service
- Skill & Knowledge
- Quality of Desired Results
- Adaptability & Flexibility
- Organizing & Planning
- Overall Performance
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is Campus Living Centres policy to promote equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
Campus Living Centres does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin,
ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status or sexual orientation.
Campus Living Centres prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the grounds listed above. This applies to all areas of employment including recruitment, hiring, training and promotion.
Not only is Campus Living Centres committed to workplace diversity, Campus Living Centres provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If you require accommodation, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
An undergraduate degree (or equivalent combination of educational experience)
- Proven leadership abilities
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment and solve complex student, staff and administrative problems
- Training in crisis/emergency situations
- Understanding of student development theory
- Demonstrated creativity, initiative and an ability to organize and facilitate events
- An ability to interact with all members of the college community
- General knowledge of basic computer programs (such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, etc.) is required
Minimum of 1-2 years experience in Residence Life or Student Leadership
Base pay and other compensation are dependent on location, level, function, and a number of other factors. Annual performance reviews give employees the opportunity to earn increases in their base pay, and in some cases, annual bonuses. Some functions, such as sales, have a component of their pay based on commission.
Our benefit program provides our employees with a comprehensive plan designed to give you and your family peace of mind. You should not have to worry about things like your health, and we will do whatever we can to help. Some of the benefits offered include:
- Comprehensive Drug and Medical Coverage
- Dental Insurance Coverage
- Vision Care Plan
- Company-Sponsored Retirement Plans (RPP)
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Education Assistance Program
- Comprehensive Campus Living Centres Training