*Hours are as follows:Sunday - Thursday - 8am-4pm
*Friday, Saturday - Off
*Benefits after six months
*Custodial work will occur mainly in the exterior of the building
Durham College/UOIT Residence
Position Summary and Job Magnitude
Responsible for the daily cleaning of the residence. Includes heavy cleaning duties on floors, windows and equipment and performing some routine maintenance activities, notifying management of needed repairs.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties
Some of the responsibilities involved with this position include but are not limited to:
- Clean floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, or vacuuming
- Empty garbage and recycling
- Service, clean, and supply restrooms
- Clean and polish furniture and fixtures
- Clean windows and glass
- Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
- Steam-clean or shampoo carpets
- Strip, seal, finish, and polish floors
- Follow procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment, in order to prevent damage to floors and fixtures.
- Monitor building security and safety by performing such tasks as locking doors after operating hours and checking electrical appliance use to ensure that hazards are not created.
- Notify manager or supervisor concerning the need for repairs or renovations
- Requisition supplies and equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties
- Identify and implement process improvement and quality improvement initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
Health & Safety
- Works in compliance with the provisions of the OHSA, regulations and internal policies and procedures and reports any contraventions to their supervisor
- Uses or wears the equipment, protective devices or clothing that Campus Living Centres requires
- Reports to the appropriate supervisor(s) any hazards, missing or defective equipment or protective device which could endanger any person
- Does not engaging in any prank, contest, feat of strength, unnecessary running or rough and boisterous conduct
- Reports any risks or potential risks of violence or harassment encountered in the workplace immediately to supervisor
- Knows, understands and implements safe work practices and procedures and employs established rules and procedures for handling materials, equipment and processes (eg. Reporting unlabelled containers, using proper lifting techniques, etc.)
- Requests that worn out or defective equipment be replaced, when appropriate
- Uses equipment and materials only in the manner intended
- Reports any injuries, incidents and unusual conditions immediately to supervisor
- Inspects the work area and equipment daily and reports any hazards immediately to supervisor
- Attends all required health and safety training programs (e.g. WHMIS, orientation), and applies knowledge to daily operating procedures at Campus Living Centres
Performance will be primarily measured on the following factors:
- Inter-Personal Skills
- Customer Service
- Skill & Knowledge
- Quality of Desired Results
- Adaptability & Flexibility
- Organizing & Planning
- Overall Performance
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is Campus Living Centres policy to promote equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
Campus Living Centres does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin,
ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status or sexual orientation.
Campus Living Centres prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the grounds listed above. This applies to all areas of employment including recruitment, hiring, training and promotion.
If you require accommodation in order to successfully submit an application, please email us to make your
accommodation request at [email protected]
High School Diploma or greater
Minimum of 1 year industry experience or equivalent management experience
Must possess ability to perform physical tasks
Must possess superior positive attitude
Must possess the ability to work alone and in a team environment
Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
Base pay and other compensation are dependent on location, level, function, and a number of other factors. Annual performance reviews give employees the opportunity to earn increases in their base pay, and in some cases, annual bonuses. Some functions, such as sales, have a component of their pay based on commission.
Our benefit program provides our employees with a comprehensive plan designed to give you and your family peace of mind. You should not have to worry about things like your health, and we will do whatever we can to help. Some of the benefits offered include:
- Comprehensive Drug and Medical Coverage
- Dental Insurance Coverage
- Vision Care Plan
- Company-Sponsored Retirement Plans (RPP)
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Educational Assistance Program
- Comprehensive Campus Living Centres Training